Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Delirium: Photo Of Gioia (1987)


Quick Synopsis: Former model runs gentlemen's magazine after her husband dies. Someone starts killing her friends and colleagues and posing their bodies in front of old blown up photos of her. Killer revealed after appropriate number of fake outs.

It seems only appropriate to mention the bee scene, though I personally was unaware of its significance until I read the back cover of the DVD which proclaimed in a rather bold font, "Featuring the famous bee attack murder!!" Now, don't get me wrong, I like a naked girl covered in bees as much as the next guy, but it wasn't exactly noteworthy. Hell, Culkin biting it in My Girl (1991) was just as effective and truth be told, still gets me a little weepy. More than anything, it was the shots from the killer's perspective prior to the first 2 murders that stuck out. I won't contend to understand exactly why the girl had a giant eyeball head before getting pitchforked in the stomach, but it was appreciated all the same. All in all, highly implausible with a twist that defies all logic (like most good gialli). A solid effort from the waning years of the genre.

7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment